Atonement








Director - Joe Wright

Genre - Drama/Mystery/Romance


In our lives, we sometimes have certain moments that we wish we could erase. To go back and redo, to make amends and start over. Alas, there are times when our beds are made and the path we've taken is one without return. This film takes us into the live of a girl who made a really damaging mistake. Lets just say her faux pas would have made your usual ones innocent and instantly forgivable. Keira Knightley to us is the new Audrey Hepburn of this millennium and all the shots in this film are so radiantly captured that it seemed as if we were witnessing beauty itself for the very first time. As the Frenchies say, "c'est magnifique!"

5 STARS!

All about Atonement

Comments

Ricky said…
Inever fancied this one but maybe I'll give it a go.
Shubhajit said…
I wouldn't call the girl's damaging witness a "faux pas", cos I felt there was nothing bumbling about that, rather it had deliberate mischief & even vitriol in it.

Anyway, though I was left a tad cold & underwhelmed by the movie, I sure do understand & appreciate the points you've made for the movie. Its not that I didn't like, just that I wouldn't give it the status of a masterpiece. But then, that's just my opinion.

But, all said & done, I concur with you as regards your statement on Keira Knightley. I too am quite fond of her.
Ricky - Yeah, do give it a go. This movie is quite sublime.

Shubhajit - The girl's act was deliberate and cruel, yes. But that doesn't mean it is unforgivable. All of us had at one point or another done things we're not proud of. Some of us had tortured and killed insects. Bullied other kids by humiliating them without mercy. When we're not matured yet, these are the things we do. That is why we fully understand the girl's acts and eventually, her atonement.
This is a film that might have contained itself better, but it still stings with bitter truth.